Week 14: The influence of Manga and Anime in the West

1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?

I was really interested in the art at first, but I must say, when they showed the "Top Student" I had a good laugh. Otherwise the story was phenomenal and I had a hard time stopping. I loved how the author portrayed magic and how mysterious it was.
 
2. What connections did you make with the story? Discuss what elements of the story with which you were able to connect?


I was bullied a lot when I was in high school, and money struggles are always a lingering issue in my family. I was pretty emotionally affected while reading this, because her struggles are very similar to my own. Sometimes you have to grow up sooner than you should have to and you lose your childhood. Having that much responsibility put on you can be really stressful.
 
3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you choose; what changes would you make?


I honestly would love to see a song written about this and have it turned into a music video. The art makes me think of Vocaloid and I would be really interested in seeing it produced this way. Obviously the plot would have to be shortened significantly due to the time restraints of the media, but i think it would overall be really cool.
 
4. In what ways does this story seem more adapted to an online environment?


The use of webtoon means that the format is scroll instead of flipping like a book. The author used this to flow the art through the pages. My favorite use of this was in chapter 2 when shes chasing the money down the screen. It also changes orientation every so often, making you turn your head or phone with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Ten: Isekai

Week Thirteen: Manga, Anime and Japanese Cultural Values